The Oakland Arts Review (OAR) seeks high quality literary fiction, poetry, nonfiction, comics, and art submissions for publication, and we accept year-round. Please read these guidelines carefully and look to the appropriate submissions category for further specifications.
- Please upload your work using ONE FILE (do not upload files as multiple submissions).
- We do accept submissions in multiple genres (you may submit, for example, a poem and a story at the same time).
- We do accept simultaneous submissions on the condition that you indicate this in your cover letter, and withdraw your submission if it is accepted elsewhere.
- While we make every effort to respond in a timely manner, response for submissions is generally around 3-5 months. ** Response time is slower in the spring semester, as our editorial groups meet in the fall only. That doesn't mean, though, that you shouldn't submit in the spring or summer! Just expect a longer wait time to hear back. **
- Please proofread your work carefully before submitting.
Writers and artists must be actively enrolled undergraduate students in a degree-granting institution at the time of submission to be considered for publication. Please include the name of your college and your current year (freshman, junior, etc.), as well as any other relevant information, in a brief cover letter.
Questions? Contact our editors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit one piece of literary short fiction for consideration, not to exceed 10-15 double spaced pages. Excerpts of longer works, including novellas and novels, are acceptable if the excerpt is also successful as a stand-alone piece.
We welcome free verse and formal poetry, as well as works that are highly experimental in content and form. Please submit a single file of up to 3-5 poems for consideration, rather than making multiple submissions per poem.
Questions? Please contact the Oakland Arts Review editors at email@example.com.
We accept creative nonfiction on a variety of subjects and in multiple forms. Please submit one piece of nonfiction for consideration, not to exceed 7 - 10 double spaced pages. If you have any questions please write firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking to publish comics that are of high literary and artistic quality. Excerpts of longer works, such as graphic novels or memoirs, are acceptable, providing that the excerpts work well as stand-alone pieces. Please submit up to 20 pages in .jpg, .tiff or .pdf format.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Artists must be undergraduate students actively enrolled in colleges across the United States or abroad.